Week 12 Fantasy Football Preview – Thanksgiving Edition!4 min read
One of my fantasy teams is mathematically eliminated and the other two are on the fringe of making the playoffs. At this point folks, this is all for the love of the game. In the spirit of Thanksgiving I’m going to name three things I’m thankful for from the 2016 season, as well as three big time C’mon Mans. The C’mon Mans highlight times when I royally screwed up fantasy wise.
- My first thank you goes to my brother Daniel. On October 29 we completed a trade in our family league. I gave him Alshon Jeffery and Lamar Miller for a wild Antonio Brown. Alshon got suspended for PEDs within the next week or so and Lamar has stayed consistently decent. Sorry Daniel.
- Thank you to A.J. Green. You have been my lone early round pick that has actually lived up to the hype. Now that you’re sidelined for the unforeseeable future I suppose this is only a ½ thanks. Either way A.J., thanks for being you man.
- Two thank you’s to Dak Prescott and Marcus Mariota. In a year where I drafted Eli Manning and Carson Palmer I was in dire need of a quarterback. Well, I hit the lottery on the waiver wire when I added these two young studs. Through week 11, both of these guys are top 5 QBs in my Yahoo leagues.
Hank’s C’mon Mans
- Brandon Marshall and the rest of my early round picks. Bmarsh was a BIG TIME bust. I took him in the second round in a few leagues and he has absolutely ruined my chances of a good season. Lamar Miller was my first round pick and he has been equally underachieving.
- In all 3 of my leagues I took early round tight ends. Greg Olsen and Jordan Reed to be exact. At the time I thought these two had slid in the draft and that it was an appropriate time to take them. Well, this decision did not work out by any means. The two have both been top tight ends, but compared to the RB/WR value I could have gotten these were absolutely TERRIBLE picks. Gronk owners know what I’m taking about as well.
- The worst trade ever!!! Way back around weeks 2 and 3 of the NFL season I was in desperate need of a WR having drafted a BULK of RBs. My running backs were Lamar Miller, Doug Martin, Melvin Gordon, Isaiah Crowell, Duke Johnson, and T.J. Yeldon. I thought I was set for the year! So, I decided to trade Gordon away after two solid performances in weeks 1 and 2. I figured the plodder would slow down as Danny ‘fundamentals’ Woodhead began stealing carries and TDs. I traded Gordon for Jarvis Landry. The week after the trade Woodhead was carted off the field with a season ending injury, cementing Gordon as the Chargers’ number 1 back. Gordon is the number four running back with 196 fantasy points and Landry is hardly in the WR2 discussion with a meager 112 points. To pile it on, shortly after the trade I received the news that Doug Martin had suffered a severe hamstring strain and would be sidelined for multiple weeks, leaving me with Crowell as my number 2 RB. Needless to say I got shafted.
On behalf of my post thanksgiving food coma I’m going to shorten this week’s post. Here are a couple key matchups that could result in stellar QB or D/ST performances.
- Titans @ Bears – I hate to do this to my hometown Bears, but they are in the start their opponent’s defense and QB spectrum. Previously this season, it has been the Browns, 49ers, Jaguars, and Jets, but the Bears have cemented themselves in this mix of horrible teams. Start Mariota and even the Titans’ defense this week if you don’t have more reliable options.
- Giants @ Browns – See matchup one. The Browns have the worst defense and offense in the league this year and any team facing off against them is a lock for a solid day.
- Bengals @ Ravens – With the recent injuries of A.J. Green and Gio Bernard, the Red Rifle is nearly out of ammo. The Bengals still have a few solid options on offense, but I can’t see them moving the ball too well on a cold Sunday in Baltimore. Stream the Ravens D.
- 49ers @ Dolphins – The Dolphins are riding high on a five game win streak. The Niners, not so much; they rank 30th in team defense, and 31st in total offense. Jay Ajayi is about to absolutely feast. Stream Ryan Tannehill and the Dolphins defense.
Feel free to do your own injury research this week. I have leftovers to consume. Have a nice Thanksgiving weekend and best of luck in your fantasy endeavors. Don’t forget to tune in at 12 EST for what might just be the biggest college football game of the year. Go Blue.