Live reaction to seeing this trade go through:
The sad reality that we live in is that it wasn’t a matter of IF Tweedledum and Tweedledee were going to mess up at the deadline, it’s how bad they were going to mess up. I tried not to puke every time I refreshed twitter during the last hour of the deadline, and then Gar/Pax come out of the clouds with this one. Let’s take a look.
Full trade details:
Thunder get: Doug McDermott, Taj Gibson and a 2018 2nd-round pick
Bulls get: Cameron Payne, Lauvergne & Anthony Morrow
— Legion Hoops (@LegionHoops) February 23, 2017
- 95% of you have absolutely no idea who the hell Joffrey Lauvergne is, and that is perfectly fine. He’s a 6’11 French guy who wears the jersey number 77. That should basically set the tone for any expectation you have for our boy Joffrey.
- The fact that CAMERON PAYNE is the key piece of the puzzle for us in this deal is mind blowing. Let’s check in on how Cameron is doing this year.
Cameron Payne this season:
PER 6.16 (90th among PG's)
RPM -3.39 (71st among PG's)
— Chris Bleck (@chrisbleck) February 23, 2017
There’s our solution folks. Not the hero we deserve but the one we need, Cameron Payne.
Here’s the part where this gets infuriating.
Let me take you back to the 2014 NBA Draft. The Bulls traded the 16th and 19th pick of that draft, as well as a 2nd rounder in the 2015 draft, all so they could move up and draft Doug McDermott at pick 11. In order for this to happen, the Bulls also had to move 3 second round picks around in order to still get Doug at 11. That is 5 picks, 2 first rounder and 3 second rounders, all to get Doug McDermott in a Bulls uniform.
So, what what happened today is essentially the following:
Gar Forman and John Paxson managed to turn Doug McDermott, 2 1st round picks, 3 second round picks, Taj Gibson, and ANOTHER 2nd round pick in 2018, in to Cameron Payne, Joffrey Lauvergne, and Anthony Morrow.
Yes, you read that correctly. Just let that sink in for a second. It’s just absolutely unbelievable. The fact that these guys are employed right now is absolutely outrageous. We are trading PICKS?! Why on God’s green earth are we giving out draft picks with the ragtag group of individuals on our roster?? What is the thought process behind any of this?!
Just a couple more things before I go drown myself in my sorrows:
- If you don’t feel bad for Jimmy Butler, you do not have a heart. Go find the TinMan and join him on his journey to Oz to get a heart, because you don’t have one if you don’t feel this way. This guy is the most unselfish, hard working superstar about to enter the prime of his career and he has to live with this. I want Jimmy Butler on the Bulls forever, but part of me wanted to see him traded today for his own good. He does not deserve the incompetency and stupidity of this organization. The absolute only reason I will watch Bulls games from here on out is to cheer on 21. Guy has put in more hours than we can count to get to where he is today, and it is a shame that he has to play for this front office.
- Taj Gibson is probably the most well-respected Bulls player in the past decade. Taj was one of those guys that played for the word “Chicago” on the front of his chest every single night and could have cared less about his own personal success. You’ll take Taj Gibson on your team every single day of the week and twice on Sunday. The only silver lining now is that Taj can play with Russell Westbrook for the time being, and as a Russ guy that is music to my ears. That man gave us so many good memories and left his heart on the floor every single night. Taj Gibson is the definition of a professional and I hope he wins a ring one day.
- It is officially Defcon 5 for this team. There is absolutely no plan or direction to head in whatsoever. This move when it’s all said and done will clear up about $30 million in Cap room, but there is no free agent in their right mind that would want to come play for this front office. Until Gar Forman and John Paxson get fired, the Bulls will continue to be a dumpster fire. Plain and simple. We don’t deserve this but it’s the reality of our situation. We are simply going nowhere as long as these two have jobs.
That’s all I’ve got for now. This organization is a disaster in every way imaginable, and the only way it changes is if these two get fired. How can you help out with that? Easy. Buy a T-shirt using the link below