Today Was The First Mayweather-McGregor Press Conference…And It Sucked2 min read

Today Was The First Mayweather-McGregor Press Conference…And It Sucked<span class="wtr-time-wrap after-title"><span class="wtr-time-number">2</span> min read</span>

The title pretty much says it all here.

The differences between boxing and MMA promoting were shown big time here. Mayweather clearly meant business and had some bozo from Showtime go up and give a speech about how much revenue he has generated in his career and even went on to say Floyd is “by far the #1 attraction in sports and entertainment”…which in all honestly is probably true, but it was an absolute snoozefest. Then you had Dana White go up and just yell out McGregor’s name and let McGregor say whatever he wants. If I’m going to be quite honest here, this was not Conor’s best work, but I think setting the bar low was a savvy move. These things are only going to get better now. Besides, wearing a pinstripe suit that says “fuck you” was incredible.

My biggest takeaway from this thing is that Floyd Mayweather may be the worst trash talker I have ever heard. Roughly 40% of his rant was spent chanting about hard work and dedication (not an exaggeration). The other 60% was obviously spent talking about how rich he is, which stands to reason. If you told LeBron James to go up there and talk about boxing and maybe even swear a little, you’d get the same product. At one point he even pulled out a check for $100 million, even after publicly saying he owed $22M to the IRS. Love the fiscal responsibility by Floyd here.

Hopefully the drunk Irishmen have a bigger presence in the future as well. Watching tens of thousands of piss-drunk Irishmen chant over Floyd is going to be must-see TV. Like I said, setting the bar low for this first press conference was probably a blessing in disguise. More storylines can build up and McGregor will inevitably have more things to say. We all know this is going to be a terrible fight, so hopefully these things are as entertaining as possible.



About The Author

Join The Discussion

Posts by Sport


Follow LMBF on Twitter

LMBF Archives

%d bloggers like this: